Dad: The $10 billion man
We love you, Dad ... and here's the receipt to prove it.
Consumers will spend about $10 billion on Father's Day gifts this year, according to the National Retail Federation. That's an average of $98 per person -- nowhere near the nearly $140 each person spent on Mother's Day gifts this year, but still about $10 more than last year.
The most popular gifts for Dad? According to the NRF, they are:
- a special dinner out (43 percent),
- apparel (37 percent),
- gift card (30 percent),
- electronics (18 percent),
- sporting goods or leisure items (14 percent),
- tools or appliances (14 percent), and
- home improvement items or garden tools (12 percent).
A final note: We all know that more phone calls are made on Mother's Day than on any other Sunday of the year, but did you know that, historically, more collect calls are made on Father's Day than on any other day of the year?
Talk is cheap after all ...