Two CPAs honored as Maryland’s ‘Women to Watch’ for 2019
Two outstanding business leaders have been honored by the Maryland Association of CPAs as Maryland’s “Women to Watch” for 2019.
Beverly Bareham, CPA, founder of Bareham, CPA, PA (pictured at left), has been honored in the “Experienced Leader” category.
Tiana D. Wynn, CPA, MBA, senior manager with SB & Company, LLC (pictured at right) has been honored in the “Emerging Leader” category.
Launched in 2014 by the American Institute of CPAs, the awards highlight the accomplishments and contributions of women in the CPA profession and demonstrate to emerging female leaders that success is not out of reach.
“We are incredibly proud of this year’s winners — indeed, of all the honorees for this year’s awards,” said MACPA Executive Director Tom Hood, CPA. “They represent the best this profession has to offer, and they serve as role models not only for other women in the profession, but for every accounting and finance professional on the planet.”
“We had 22 honorees for this year’s awards,” said Ray Speciale, Esq., CPA, chair of the MACPA’s 2019-20 Board of Directors. “This symbolizes a commitment on the part of every person in this room and once again sets Maryland CPAs apart in a way that makes me proud.”
Here’s a closer look at the winners and honorees in each of the two “Women to Watch” categories:
Experienced Leader This year’s winner is Beverly Bareham, CPA, is the founder of Bareham, CPA, PA. In the space of just a few years, she has built a successful practice from scratch, one that specializes in helping single women who have never had to face the tax world in the past. An active CPA for nearly 15 years, she has helped many accounting students at Stevenson University with personal mentoring and financial assistance through the funding of scholarships. The university has recognized her efforts by asking her to be a keynote speaker at its 2019 Commencement Ceremony. She also has testified in front of legislative committees, presented numerous tax seminars, and served on the MACPA's Board of Directors and State Tax Committee.
Other honorees in the Experienced Leader category were:
- Amy Boland, CPA, engagement partner with Gelman, Rosenberg & Freedman
- Michele Chalmers, CPA, principal with CliftonLarsonAllen LLP
- Lisa Ingram, CPA, founder of Lisa D. Ingram, CPA, P.A.
- Joselin Martin, CPA, chief financial officer with Hayles and Howe, Inc.
- Debora E. May, CPA, CFP, CDFA, executive vice president with Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, P.C.
- Michele Mills, CPA, a principal in the Audit Department at DeLeon & Stang, CPAs & Advisors
- Gail Rand, CPA, co-founder, chief financial officer, and patient advocate with ForwardGro, LLC
- Tracie Thomas, CPA, director of accounting, customer service, and procurement with Easton Utilities Commission
- Amanda Wilhelm, CPA, principal with SC&H Group’s Personal Financial Planning practice.
Emerging Leader This year’s winner is Tiana D. Wynn, CPA, MBA, senior manager with SB & Company, LLC. She has 15 years of experience in conducting planning, fieldwork, and reporting activities for audits and attestations for commercial, non-profit, and state and local governments. She is a member of the MACPA's Employee Benefit Plan Conference Committee and its Nominations Committee, and has served as an MACPA mentor for the past two years. She is also a member of the AICPA's Employee Benefit Plan Expert Panel and its Accounting, Auditing, and Regulatory Update Committee. She is immediate past president of the Baltimore Metropolitan Chapter of the National Association of Black Accountants, and has served as treasurer and board member of Charm City Care Connection. She is also chair of the University of Maryland Alumni Association's Board of Governors' Awards Committee, and is a member of that board's Finance Committee.
Other nominees in the Emerging Leader category were:
- Jennifer Arminger, CPA, engagement partner with Gelman Rosenberg & Freedman CPAs
- Mollie Frank, CPA, Private Client Services tax manager with RSM
- Jodi Harris, CPA, senior audit manager at SC&H Group
- Tricia Katebini, CPA, senior manager at Gelman, Rosenberg & Freedman CPAs
- Jennifer MacDonald, CPA, finance audit manager for MAR Compliance with CareFirst BlueCross BlueSheild
- Reema Patel, CPA, supervisor with Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, PC
- Sara Roach, CPA, manager of Risk Advisory Services with RSM US LLP
- Amanda Ward, CPA, a manager in RSM US LLP's tax practice in Baltimore
- Cari White, CPA, director of financial planning and analysis with United Urology Group.
The 2019 MACPA “Women to Watch” awards were made possible by the following strategic partners:
- Thomson Reuters
- CliftonLarsonAllen LLP
- Garbelman Winslow
- Gelman, Rosenberg & Freedman CPAs
- SB & Company, LLC
- Aronson LLC
- Bareham CPA, PA
- Councilor, Buchanan & Mitchell, PC
- Cordia Partners & Resources
- Corrigan Insurance Agency
- DeLeon & Stang CPAs & Advisors
- Del Pino Rivera CPA
- Easton Utilities Commission
- Hayles & Howe