Social Security and Medicare benefits remain an integral part of the financial planning process for many clients, yet CPAs often feel unprepared to talk about these topics. Clients often want to know when they will qualify for benefits, how they obtain benefits, and if these benefits will even be available once they retire. Through easy-to-
understand examples and discussion, this course will review the fundamentals of the Social Security and Medicare systems. It will also help practitioners begin to identify planning opportunities that may be
available for current and future clients.
• Recall the different types of Social Security benefits
• State the tax treatment of Social Security benefits
• Compute the benefit change when one takes benefits before
and after the full retirement age
• Identify differences between commercial disability insurance
and social security disability benefits
• State how Social Security may be incorporated into a client’s
• Name the different parts of Medicare
• Recognize the difference between Medicare and Medicaid
• Overview, Basic Terms, & Program Funding
• Insured Statuses & Calculating QCs
• Calculating Retirement Benefits
• Survivor Benefits
• Taxation of Social Security Benefits
• Social Security Disability Benefits
• Medicare Coverages
• Common Financial Planning & Client Questions
Working knowledge of individual tax concepts.
CPAs who have clients that are nearing retirement or asking questions about Social Security and Medicare benefits.